Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Snowy Evening Art Project

This Winter, I tried to find a peaceful art project for my kiddos to work on.  After reading Owl Moon by Jane Yolden and "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost, I wanted my kids to make a project that expressed the same mood of the literature.

I searched for an inspiring piece of art and found this:

"Haliburton Winter" by Satish. 8x10". Acrylic on canvas.

When I shared it with my team, they had a similar project they had done a few years ago that they found on Art Projects for Kids, a website by amazing art teacher Kathy Barbro.

I loved the project, but wanted to make some changes to reflect the literature we read in class.  I adjusted some of the steps in Kathy's project to make it a bit more like the Satish painting.  Here's what I did:




Crayon Resist: When you color with a white crayon, the area where you colored will 'resist' the watercolor paint, leaving that area white. :)








Materials needed:

- One sheet of watercolor paper for each student (I used 1/2 sheet)
- Blue painter's tape
- One white crayon for each student
- Scissors
- One watercolor set for each student

Click here for the link to Art Project for Kids and the original version of this project from Kathy! :)

There's still time this Winter to make this beautiful project!! I'm hanging it on my wall with a writing about "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". 

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful family-filled, food-filled, LOVE-filled holiday!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, those look gorgeous!!! I love pairing up artwork and writing~ makes a great keepsake for parents! Thanks for sharing!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are absolutely beautiful! Great work and what an inspiration!

    Krissy
    Ms. Hutten’s Buttons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love this art project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have to try this in January with my second graders. It's a sophisticated art project!

    Heather at TeachItToday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to do this. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, those look awesome!!! Art projects are so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some shimmer and sparkle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...